Thursday, November 8, 2007

Welcome back to Iraq!

So yup, here I am, back in Iraq. Exciting times! My trip back was not too bad. Although on the plane ride from Dallas all the way until Kuwait I had an isle seat. Let me tell you, I HATE isle seats. To make matters worse, this plane had even less room than the normal coach seating so it was pretty awful, but I just slept most of the time and before I knew it I was in Kuwait. It was pretty sobering to be back and I had a good bit of time to reflect on how my life was going to be sucking again very soon. Well, so far it hasn't been too bad.

As a welcoming home present, the Iraqi insurgents decided to launch a rocket at our base the night I got back. Thanks guys! I've already got used to hearing the occassional gun shot or burst, and in fact as I type this some rockets are flying overhead and impacting somewhere. Guess I'll be here for a little longer than expected!

I didn't end up having to go out on this last patrol which was nice. I've just been kicking back, relaxing and "reintegrating" in to the Iraq lifestyle. So yeah thats about it. Know that I have arrived safely and soon enough will be back in to the swing of things.

One side note, while I was gone not much happened except for a single incident that involved my platoon and a couple guys that popped out and fired a few well placed bursts at them. It was short lived, just a quick response from our guys, but nobody hurt on either side and just as quickly as it started it ended and that was that. Hmm, well although I am partially jelous that I missed a chance to shoot my baby, I am honestly not too jelous, for if the remainder of my deployment is quiet and nothing happens, I will be totally OK with that!


Digg this story! Add to del.icio.us! Subscribe to this feed!

12 comments:

Sparkel said...

Glad all in all the trip wasnt that bad.

But do tell *** hows Charlie???

Be awesome to read the blog that says your both on US Soil.

membrain said...

I for one, hope nothing else happens on the remainder of your deployment
Cheers

Anonymous said...

And so it begins. Take excellent care, stay strong and focused. We'll look forward to posts when you are able.
Cathy B

Anonymous said...

Here's hoping the rest of your deployment is fairly uneventful. Little story from home. I was patrolling with another officer the other night(protecting a gathering of Democratic candidates). My partner has been in Iraq. We were standing there griping about some of the behavior we had been seeing when just west of us we heard automatic gunfire. Next thing we knew it sounded like Baghdad on a bad day(WTF!!!)(now where'd I leave my kevlar umbrella? ) We were relieved to find out later there was a movie being filmed. The candidates? Never even noticed.

Anonymous said...

Veteran's day is Sunday but I have to say this today because I will be away from email over the weekend. Thanks for doing a tough, dangerous job so that people in the States can be protected.

David M said...

The Thunder Run has linked to this post in the - Web Reconnaissance for 11/09/2007 A short recon of what’s out there that might draw your attention, updated throughout the day...so check back often.

Anonymous said...

Always good to hear that you are okay, and that things are relatively uneventful, rockets nothwithstanding. Hope it stays that way. The video is awesome. Stay safe and well. Arlene

Airborne dad said...

Hope your remaining months are very, very quiet.

Dianne said...

While not so glad that you're in Iraq, I'm glad you made the trip over safely.
Thinking about you and all the troops, past and present, active and retired, and those who've made the ultimate sacrifice on this Veteran's Day.
Stay safe,
the TX mom,
Willo

Carolyn said...

Happy Veteran's Day and thank you for your service.

Loz said...

Stay safe young man - I have a son about to graduate as an officer in the Australian Army so let me say I appreciate what all you guys are doing.

Brian H said...

Don't be too jealous [note sp.]. It's likely to leave you frustrated; there seems to be a lot less kinetic stuff going on these days. Maybe you could apply for a transfer to A-stan? ;)