Saturday, July 21, 2007

A disgrace to anyone in the military...

Since I started this blog, I decided that I wanted to blog, specifically about my experiences here. I've read many other blogs that talk about the latest news and whatnot, and I decided that I did not want to do that.

But something has come to light that, at least in the milblogging world, that is making huge waves everywhere. It has captured my attention and emations and therefore I feel it necessary to share it with you all. It has to do with some stories submitted my a supposed "Scott Thomas". He claims to have experienced and partaken in some stories that, in my opinion go far beyond reality and even basic human dignity that its disgusting.

The stories were origionally posted in the New Republic, but the Weekley Standard has done a great piece on this supposed 'whistle blower' entitled Fact or Fiction.

Here's an example of one of the sick stories this guy tells.

We were already halfway through our meals when she arrived. After a minute or two of eating in silence, one of my friends stabbed his spoon violently into his pile of mashed potatoes and left it there.
“Man, I can’t eat like this,” he said.
“Like what?” I said.
“Chow hall food getting to you?”
“No—with that fucking freak behind us!” he exclaimed, loud enough for not only her to hear us, but everyone at the surrounding tables. I looked over at the woman, and she was intently staring into each forkful of food before it entered her half-melted mouth.
“Are you kidding? I think she’s fucking hot!” I blurted out.
“What?” said my friend, half-smiling.
“Yeah man,” I continued. “I love chicks that have been intimate—with IEDs. It really turns me on—melted skin, missing limbs, plastic noses . . . .”
“You’re crazy, man!” my friend said, doubling over with laughter. I took it as my cue to continue.
“In fact, I was thinking of getting some girls together and doing a photo shoot. Maybe for a calendar? ‘IED Babes.’ We could have them pose in thongs and bikinis on top of the hoods of their blown-up vehicles.”
My friend was practically falling out of his chair laughing. The disfigured woman slammed her cup down and ran out of the chow hall, her half-finished tray of food nearly falling to the ground.



As expected milbloggers have lashed out and attempted to dissolve these fictious stories. Blackfive and The Mudville Gazette have some excellent pieces with responses from many milbloggers (to include myself) on what they feel about these stories. Make sure and check them out.

I'll include my responses in a comment on this posting. All I hope is that this is resolved and that is fucking moron will be exposed for the liar and loser that he really is. And I hope there is a sever ass kicking awaiting him once he is discovered.




Digg this story! Add to del.icio.us! Subscribe to this feed!

12 comments:

Eddie said...

My response to Matt Burden (Blackfive):

yeah Ive read over this and I think its a complete fabrication. Its pathetic that someone would have to make up such stories for whatever reason; although I do feel that there is some underlying motive for why this guy gave these stories to the press.

but as far as the IED victim story, there is no way in hell that
anyone would allow such things to be said about someone like that,
especially in such a public forum as the chowhall. Like you said,
there would for sure be a serious ass kicking going on. Plus I dont
know how much truth there is to even someone of that injured natured being in Iraq. Ive never seen such a thing and I dont think it likely that someone like that would stay here or return here. Just my take on it.

Either way its disgusting to think that someone even thinks like this
individual. I know guys, especially infantry and combat arms (all male unit) guys can be sick at times, but this is beyond sick. This is wrong in so many ways and I pray that this individual gets some kind of help, because he obviously needs it.

Eddie said...

My response to the Mudville Gazette:

After reading a few of the accounts, I find it simply disturbing; whether or not these stories are true. The thing is I do not think that what the author of these stories is saying is actually truthful. I find it shameful that this person would even discuss in a non-truthful, joking manner, the things he discusses, especially the story concerning the IED victim. I wonder if this guy has any idea of the negative repurcussions from his actions. I would imagine so if he submitted the stories to be published. Makes me wonder what his motives were to do such a thing. In the end though, I cannot believe that these stories are truthful.

For 1, the IED story would NEVER happen. I dont care who you are or where you are at, if someone were to do something like that in a chowhall withone someone as injured from an IED as that, there would be either a) a sever ass whooping and/or b) actions taken against the individual from their or others chain of command. Theres no way that this would go on under the watch of everyone else in the chowhall.

The mass grave story is just flat out ridiculous. The story of finding such a thing, where a COP was being built, not saying anything about it, and then the actions of the private and the lack of action of EVERY other soldier. Again, although there may be soldiers that are so deprave, theres no way that all of them would stand by to all these actions.

Finally the Bradely story is another obsurd story. Driving eratic is one thing, but to be utterly destroying things in the wake would not be accepted. If that vechicles TC did nothing surely another would say something.

In the end I find it ridiculous that someone would feel the need to fabricate such a story, but I think there is some motive for this individual. Maybe they were left witha bad taste of the Army or something. Either way it is disgusting and dispicable. I wish such an individual would show up at my unit for just a day... I just hope Americans believe in the greater good of the American soldiers.

Haole Wahine said...

Way to go Eighty Deuce! Thanks for taking the time to respond to both Blackfive and Mudville. Those of us at home are spreading the truth you guys tell, and every word we hear from boots on the ground makes the noice we're making even more authoritative.

Once again gratitude and prayers.

Anonymous said...

Anybody who isn't brainwashed by MSM will know that it's bullshit ...

Any intelligent person (military OR civilian) would know there's no way this would have happened on a FOB ... let alone on any military installation or civilian location ... yeah ... there's some real crass people out there ... but with all the casualties due to IEDs (more recently EEDs) and the recent loss of our first K-9 team Kory & Cooper, there's enough of us with common sense & respect that would've jumped down this mf'ers throat & kicked his ass ...

As far as the dog & desecrated remains? This person has obviously watched too many movies and is just writing out a sick scene from their version of Reanimator meets Silence of the Lambs.

I seriously hope there is an investation ... and the story will be traced back to some twit sitting in his fruit of the looms scarfing down Big Macs wishing that he was man enough to even stand in your shadow ...

Stay focused Eddie ... you've got dumbass drivers and stray bullet to watch out for ...

Karma will take care of "Scott Thomas" and she's a real bitch when it comes to this kind of crap.

auntybrat said...

Ditto what Carla said. I think go to the source - TNR! I'll work on that from this end. Will keep you posted..:) YOU stay focussed. Let the home team deal with this one.

Anonymous said...

I figure the Scott Thomas stories will eventually be debunked. From what I've found, this is not the first time TNR has had problems with fabrication, but damage will be done. To me there's just something about the way the guy writes that makes me think "poser". I'm a civilian, but I'm around Veterans and active military a lot, and I've been around posers. There's a big difference between listening to a story by someone who's actually "been there, done that", and someone that tries to use a little lingo he picked up to make himself into something he's not. Not only is this guy a liar, he's going to be in some serious trouble when his identity is exposed.

Anonymous said...

really interesting this blog.my largest acknowledgment applies for you guys.make further in such a way. great job!

Anonymous said...

These stories are just BS. Yeah, there are always people who will say stupid things, but as it's been said "this would have resulted in some serious a**whooping" if it really went down in public like the writer expects us to believe. The originator of the tall tales and the media putting it "out there" should be shut down for their BS.
A person having the burns depicted in this tale, would've been stateside, not sitting in some DFAC on an FOB. The people making this story up are aiding the enemy with their BS against our troops. That smells of being traitors to me!

Samira the Ninja said...

The problem is, Scott Thomas probably wrote all this crap for publicity...and now he gets it. Eventually his ego will overwhelm his common sense and his real identity will be revealed; until then, we can only wait him out and hope that people realize he's a shitbag looking for his 15 minutes of fame by using the pain and sacrifice of others'.

membrain said...

If this guy really is a soldier, he's a gutless piece of shit. However, blogger JD Johannes, who has spent some quality time at FOB Falcon, thinks he can narrow it down. http://www.outsidethewire.com/blog/media/johannes-to-thomas-radio-check-over.html

""Scott" you've caused quite a stir of late. I really don't care who you are but I spent a little time around Falcon and think I know how to find you.

I'm guessing you are a member of 1-18 Infantry. They are the primary unit out of Falcon with Brads.

As for the archeological dig. My guess is that was at COP Ellis. Most of the other outposts are so urban, there is nothing much to dig.


With the Brads and Archeology, that may put you as Alpha 1/18 attached to Combat 1-28 Infanty."

HotelBookingPro said...

I don't know wat a GI doing blogging ? Why don't you visit me for information on sex venues , I will come up for a fex venue in Iraq later this weekend ?

And give us the field report on Hookers.

Dianne said...

My boy is in the 82nd, currently in Iraq too. After reading your're tribute to Sgt. Tollett, I'm pretty sure he's in your unit, but not in the same company. He gets his 2 weeks r&r next month and we can't wait to see him. God bless you all and be assured that we love you one and all. Take care of yourself and stay strong.
Willo